Your typical weekend...in Paris

It's no surprise that I love this time of year.  Even when the weather is cold and miserable, there is something about the smell of Christmas trees and twinkly lights that just makes me feel all warm and cozy on the inside.

Having been in France for the past four Christmases (or is it five, I lost count) the holiday season is always hit or miss for us.  We usually do so much traveling during this time of year that we make little to no effort to get anything done around the house.  I mean, why would you put up a tree you're only going to see for a week?

Since having the boys, however, I've tried to make more of an effort to inspire that "Christmas magic".  I want them to have the same cozy feeling when they think of this time of year.

Even though we don't put up a tree every year, and we spend more time on planes than at home - certain traditions stay true.  I always put up some twinkly lights and the stockings are always hung up. Nathan gets so excited every night when he sees everything and all he can say is "look Chrismtas".

That is why I wanted to do something "extra-special" for him.  He is finally at that age where he not only "gets" Christmas, but he is so absorbed by the simplicity of it all.  After all, his only wish from Santa is a red present.

One of the things that I've always wanted to do while in France has been seeing the tree and decorations at the "Grands Magasins" in Paris.  I've been to Paris many times during the holiday season, but for some reason have never made the time to actually go and take in this very Parisian tradition.

When I told my husband how sad I was that I might never get a chance to see this, he said, "why don't you just take Nathan up for the weekend?"

And that my friends is the long drawn out story of how we ended up in Paris for the weekend to take in the Christmas magic.

We saw the amazing tree at Galaries Lafayette.

Got to meet up with Santa {or Pere Noel as he prefers to be called here} who spoke just the perfect combination of "franglish".

We had a lunch date at Angelina's.

A stroll down the Champs Elysee....

before taking in some other touristic attractions.

A magical weekend spent alone with my three year old. 
Pin It

31 comments:

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

It does look like magic!

Adrienne said...

oh boy - does that bring back memories! My favorite is the Champs Elysee all lit up at night!

Tina said...

Oooh! Paris looks so lovely at Christmas. What a great time away with your little guy!

Liene said...

Did your "date" pick up the tab!? ;) Just adorable!

Quiana said...

Happy to hear your Paris weekend went well! He really was a trooper and is too adorable enjoying all the sights. Those early memories are so important and I know what you mean wanting to make Christmastime feel cozy for your LOs!

doseofreality said...

Oh, how much fun!! That tree is beautiful!! So glad you got to share it all with your son. (Love the title you chose for this post! It made me jealous! :) )

DaniD said...

Sounds like a magical weekend and one that he will remember forever :) I love seeing pictures of Paris and experiencing it from this side of the "pond"

Midnight Cowgirl said...

Looks like a wonderful time!

Kate R said...

Oh I love this time of year too! What a beautiful weekend and so special to have some time just with Nathan. In sure he loved it :)

Sara Louise said...

This is my fourth Christmas (EEK!) living in France but the first that we'll be at home so it's the first that we're putting up a tree and I'm so excited!!!

Sarah Williamson said...

How sweet! One of my goals for this Christmas is to create a new tradition. You've done just that! What a special day with your son :) Lovely pictures also! I loved learning that Santa goes by Pere Noel in Paris!

-Sarah
www.sweetandsavorylife.com
www.facebook.com/sweetandsavorylife

jeands said...

does anything look more magical than that? the lights on the trees are amazing! and a date with your 3 year old? epic weekend!

Organized Island said...

Wonderful pictures! Love the blue tree!

Kat Biggie said...

Love it! Paris is such a magical day any time, but especially with the Christmas decorations! Oh I loved looking at those pics!!!

Xae said...

Going to France is high up on my very long list of places to be and it still remains just a wish. It's so wonderful that you live their with your family :)
The tree looks amazing...everything in Paris seem to have a touch of magic.

Amanda said...

Aww, so sweet! And lovely of your hubs to suggest it!

Natalie said...

Awww he looks like he is taking advantage of all thatChristmas has to offer!

WhisperingWriter said...

So beautiful!

Cam | Bibs & Baubles said...

that is beautiful and magical and all those good things! Oh how I love that city. You are totally giving me my fix. :-)

Liz @ A Nut in a Nutshell said...

That is so sweet that you were able to do that! Awwwwwwww.

Blond Duck said...

Oh that's so sweet! He'll always remember!

Suzanne said...

Christmas in Paris looks pretty magical to me. I wish I could teleport myself there.

Chris Carter said...

Oh what a lovely weekend indeed!! Your boy will never forget it. :)

Jessica Watson said...

This is just gorgeous and something about it gave me goosebumps, maybe they way you are creating all of these amazing memories for him.

Emmy said...

Yea!! Glad you were able to go experience this. And yes I am totally jealous :) That tree is beautiful.

Sorta Southern Single Mom said...

Gorgeous... like Christmas in NYC< but better!

Like you, we travel sometimes at Christmas (every other year) on those years, we still put up a tree, but it's a table-top fake one...keeps the kids happy, but not so much work when we'll be gone for the holiday!

LindyLouMac in Italy said...

A magical Christmas treat in Paris.

Blond Duck said...

Have a wonderful weekend!

JDaniel4's Mom said...

It sounds like a perfect time! It looks like it was filled with memory making moments.

Susan Liberatore said...

Now THIS is a weekend! WOW!!
And so neat that you got some one on one time with your little GQ man. He's too cute!

Masshole Mommy said...

What a great recap! Thanks for sharing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...