Halloween a l'Americaine

We are getting into the holiday season and this is always the hardest time for me living in France.

I am constantly aware of all of the things that the kids and I are "missing" by being away from "home".

This is always kicked off by Halloween.  I am constantly bombarded with pictures of adorable kids and babies all dressed up and ready to go trick or treating {or other type of costume celebration}.

As a kid, I always adored Halloween and the thought that my boys would grow up without was always a bit heartbreaking.

Last year we had a small celebration with a couple of other American families.  There were games, candy and cute kids in costumes.  It was a small piece of home.

This year the talk began around mid-September with the same American families.  Then the word amongst the expats got out and everyone started joining in.  Thanks to the power of social media this event grew and before long there were over 35 expatriated families that wanted to take part.

There were activities for all ages:  Apple bobbing and egg races for the older kids, pinning the nose on the pumpkin and a coloring station for the younger kids.  There was a costume parade with prizes and of course snacks and candy galore.

At the end of the party the kids got to line up and go "trick or treating" - filling their sacks with candy.

Noah was indifferent throughout the entire thing - but Nathan was in heaven.  He loved being a pirate and he loved getting candy.  It was a win-win in his eyes.

The day was gorgeous and I know {hope} that this will help create memories that will stay with them as they grow up.

Welcome to France, where we celebrate Halloween in mid October and can move straight into Christmas.


What are your plans for Halloween next week?


Pin It

16 comments:

Liene said...

Hah, and after last year I'm nostalgic for a Halloween in France!

Jessica said...

Dressing like a pirate and getting candy?

Can't beat that at all.

Christine said...

So great that you were able to celebrate Halloween with so many expat families! I'd imagine it would be hard around the holidays but your boys look like they had a good time!

jeands said...

your sons looks so adorable in their halloween costumes! good thing you all get a tiny slice of american halloween.

Jen said...

That would be so hard to be away from "home" around the traditional American holidays. So glad you found some expats to celebrate with. Halloween is one of my kids' favorite holidays. We go trick-or-treating for a couple of hours and end up with WAY too much candy ;)

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

Glad you were able to celebrate in some way!

We have a fall festival at Pierce's school tomorrow night, then Paul and I have a costume party after that, and on Sunday evening is the trunk or treat fall festival at the twins' preschool. Not sure if we'll do actual trick or treating after all that - we might be candied out!

Liz @ A Nut in a Nutshell said...

Yay!!!! I'm so glad you've started and continued this tradition there. And clearly it's a hit with the younger set.

JDaniel4's Mom said...

Wow! Your event really grew! We have JDaniel's school fun fair tomorrow and a local science center's Green Halloween party on Saturday. We will trick or treat in our neighborhood next week.

Kimberly said...

Free candy to a kid is always a hit!

I'm glad that you continued the tradition and other families are involved now too.

Haddock said...

Love that fourth photograph.
Such a wonderful smile, coming from inside.

Home Jobs by MOM said...

Looks like you all had an amazing time! I'm glad you found others to celebrate with. October would be strange to me without Halloween.

misssrobin said...

What a beautiful way to share your joys of Halloween with your kids.

My kids are 14-21 now, so I'm hoping to stay home and answer the door while they're off doing their own thing.

Natalie said...

I love their costumes! And so glad you have some great people to celebrate the holidays with!

Sara Louise said...

I was just getting sad about Halloween this past weekend. I miss seeing kids running around in costume and all of the 'spooky' Halloween movies on TV. I think I'll try and download The Great Pumpkin :)

Emmy said...

I bet next year it will be even bigger! What a fun thing you helped organize and plan for your boys. Their costumes are cute!

Maggie S. said...

How sweet your littles look in costume! Happy #Blogtober.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...