Aix-en-Provence

While making the trip down to Marseilles, I asked Cornel if we could take a detour to Aix-en-Provence.  It is only a few kilometers away from Marseilles and was also on my list of places to visit. 



Since we had already spent three days in Marseille and had a super long drive back home, he was less than thrilled to make a detour.  What a guy won't do for love, right?
Don't be fooled by the Catalonian flag, we were really in France

We made it to Aix just in time for lunch.  In France this means two thing:  1) time to sit down for two hours and enjoy a nice meal as a family because 2) everything is closed between twelve and two.  As we were nearing downtown we found a super cute terrace and decided to go and sit and enjoy the sun.

After a nice meal, we took in the beautiful sights of the downtown.  We were actually kicking ourselves for not having spent more time there than in Marseille. 

The streets were clean and gorgeous and shops like Zara and Mango were calling my name.  Luckily for my husband it was a Sunday and everything was closed.

There were so many things I wanted to see and do.  Nathan kept wanting to go on the tourist train (because it's not a vacation without a tourist train) but alas, we had to make the five hour ride home.

While I wish I could have spent more time there, it was the perfect way to spend an afternoon.
The city also quickly climbed on the list of "most beautiful cities" in France. 
Pin It

17 comments:

Adrienne said...

Love, love, love it! We also hopped over there a few times when with our friends in Marseilles! Great little "walking-around-the-town" town!

Liz @ A Nut in a Nutshell said...

Looks wonderful and so relaxing and quiet, it seems! I don't see throngs of people everywhere.

Jen said...

Wow!! It looks beautiful there!!!

jeands said...

wow, beautiful pictures. France is number one my bucket list of countries I want to visit. I'm seriously jealous you're living in France. :)

Jenny said...

It looks beautiful!

The Anecdotal Baby said...

Barbara, I'm so jealous. I read your posts about your life abroad and can't help, but be a bit envious. I know along with the perks comes the cons, but still... I'd love to spend some time living in another country for the culture. Looks like you had a great trip!

Jessica said...

Looks like you need to play another trip to this city.

The Bonny Bard said...

Great pictures! Sometimes unexpected stops end up being so worth it!

Stasha said...

Lovely. I enjoy traveling around France with you!

labergerebasque said...

I have heard nothing but good things about Aix on Provence…must visit someday :)

Hungrigyrl said...

It looks amazing! I am really going to have to make it back to France someday.

Emmy said...

I think one of my favorite things that you have told us about France is how things just close down for periods of time-- that really would be nice just to slow down and have everything kind of slow down at times.

Jamie said...

I love seeing other parts of the world =) So vast and beautiful.

Sara Louise said...

You were on my shopping stomping grounds! Isn't it marvelous? And it does seem about 100% cleaner than Marseille.
The striped flag is actually the flag of Provence. I only found that out a few days ago so I feel like sharing my newly acquired knowledge :)

Blond Duck said...

It sounds amazing!

Mrs. Pancakes said...

This is what I love...the beautiful architect!!

Kim said...

Another beautiful city through your eyes!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...