The Ring

My engagement ring has always been a point of contention in my marriage. The ring itself is beautiful but certain circumstances have always caused discussion.

A few nights ago while at a hotel in Bucharest I took off my rings to get ready for bed.

Then it happened. My engagement ring slipped out of my hands while in the bathroom. Like the ball in a pinball machine, it bounced around clinking and clanking. I watched its movements almost as if slow motion before I finally saw it fall down the drain.

I gasped, and I think it was one of the few times when I actually gasped out loud. I stared down at the drain as if my mind could magically make the ring float back up.

I then ran into the bedroom and started frantically explaining to Cornel what happened. He called down to the front desk while I feverishly tried to fashion a hook out of a metal coat hanger. In my desperation I must have thought I turned into McGyver.

The front dest called saying that at that late hour there was no maintenance personnel available but that they would send the concierge. Perfect. If he couldn't recover my ring at least he could book my reservation in the looney bin.

Cornel kept trying the coat hanger hook to no avail. Maybe if I would have put some chewing gum on the end I might have been more successful.

The concierge finally arrived in his suit and proceeded to put on yellow rubber gloves. They snapped like surgeon gloves snap before an operation. It was too much to bear, so I went into the bedroom and closed the door.

Within minutes Cornel came back with my ring in hand (no pun intended). The concierge had even been nice enough to wash it off for me. That is what you call four star service! He totally deserved the tip Cornel handed him.

We disposed of the hook and continued with our night. Cornel made a joke that at least it was the ring that I "didn't like". Touché.
Pin It

20 comments:

Mark said...

Thank God that post was short because I hardly breathed all through it.
Congrats on getting it back.
And good seeing you here again!
m.

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

Whew, so glad it was recovered! Even if it was the one you 'didn't like' ;-)

jeands said...

Oh, good thing they were able to recover your ring.

It's nice to be reading you again, B!

Quiana said...

How scary! I have fears of losing my e-ring down a drain. Glad it was able to be retrieved!

Adrienne said...

oh, I would have died, cried...and tried so hard to "fix" it without my husband knowing! So glad you found it...cause beautiful or not it will always be THE ring! hugs!

Liene said...

Phew! Been there, done that, I totally understand. You actually handled the situation very calmly, and I'll bet the concierge has seen it before!

Natalie said...

I am always worried I am going to do the very same thing! So glad you recovered your ring!

Jessica said...

That line at the end has me laughing.

I'm glad you got your ring back.

The Anecdotal Baby said...

Ah! So glad you were able to retrieve it. I'm always afraid that's going to happen with mine (we don't have a plug in our drain in the sink) and mine's an antique heirloom from his grandmother. I think I'd die... or be killed?!

Stasha said...

I love happy endings!! Yeay for men in rubber gloves!

Sara Louise said...

Oh my heavens! I don't think I would have been able to breathe until I got it back! Huge gold star for that concierge! :)

Sara Louise said...

Oh my heavens! I don't think I would have been able to breathe until I got it back! Huge gold star for that concierge! :)

Liz @ A Nut in a Nutshell said...

So glad he got that back for you, even though it's not your favorite of favorites. ;) I would have been freaking out too!

JDaniel4's Mom said...

I am so glad you got it back. It may not be a favorite, but I know you won't want to loose it.

Susan said...

What a story! You do have me curious now though as to why you don't like it.
Email me!!!!

Susan said...

What a story! You do have me curious now though as to why you don't like it.
Email me!!!!

Amanda said...

Yikes! So glad you got it back! (I'm curious too - post a pic!)

Jen said...

SO glad you got your ring back!! I think I would have cried.
xo

Emmy said...

Oh so glad he was able to get it back even if you don't like it ;)

Kim said...

Good lord Woman! What a story. And so well written.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...