Le Potty

As soon as this year started we knew that we had to begin potty training Nathan.  With him turning 3 at the end of the year he would have to be enrolled in preschool (ecole maternelle), where they do not change diapers.

It's kind of frustrating since school is mandatory which means so is the potty training.  There is definitely no "wait until he's ready" mentality.

So with the big third birthday looming and the pre-school deadline approaching we knew something had to be done.

I had all of these great intentions of training Nathan while I was on my four month maternity leave. I thought four months would be plenty of time to train Nathan, and then I had a baby and well you know how that goes.  So Nathan stayed in diapers.

It was disappointing but I figured I had until January. WRONG. I really should have informed myself about the school process because as it turns out Nathan has to go starting in September.

Completely stressed, I asked my husband for help. We decided to try potty training - cold turkey.

We started on a Saturday and let Nathan run around only in pants. Let me say that we spent most of the day on our hands and knees while going through a roll of paper towels.

I was thinking by this point that I would have to homeschool because he would much rather pee on the couch than approach the potty.

Sunday was much better with only a few minor accidents to speak of. As for Monday, he asked for the potty right away. Success.

Two weeks later here we are with Nathan fully potty trained during the day. He even asks for the potty daycare.

I never though Nathan would be ready for potty training. Ready schmready. I am not sure if I believe this "wait until they are ready" mentality. Who knows, maybe Noah will come around in two years and throw a curve ball my way.

The only thing I know for sure is that my life is so much easier only changing one baby's diapers.
Pin It

17 comments:

Natalie said...

So glad the transition went well! I'm so worried about potty training...dreading it!

Jen said...

Oh yes, having only one in diapers makes it so much easier! Hooray for Nathan, it sounds like he did fantastic!!

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

Would you believe one of my twins has been potty trained since December...and the other we've never even tried? I'm waiting for signs of readiness from him, lol. Maybe I should just jump in?

Michelle said...

I know, isn't it so great to only be changing one's diapers?! I had just resigned myself to a half year or so of two in diapers, and then right around Lane's second birthday she expressed interest and BOOM! she was potty trained. Getting her to poo in it has taken a bit more effort, but we're 2.5 weeks into success with that with only a few accidents. Yippee! Glad it's gone well for you!

Amanda said...

I agree - getting them potty trained makes life SO much easier! Congrats!

Quiana said...

What a fabulous milestone accomplished! I know for a fact I could not do 2 in diapers so working on Nia now =)

Emmy said...

Yea!! And so awesome it only took a couple of weeks! My oldest it seemed took forever! But then my middle practically trained herself. Ryder will be two next month so I know it is so coming again for me-- not looking forward to it

The Anecdotal Baby said...

Wow, that's awesome! Congrats! We are a ways off, but I've been researching... heard it can be accomplished in 3 days... we'll see. I could handle a couple weeks.

jeands said...

good to hear that the transition went smoothly.

B, I wrote something about you and your blog. And awarded you at the same time with the liebster blog award. You can check it here.

http://jeandslq.blogspot.com/2012/04/liebster-blog-award.html

Enjoy your weekend.

Shellsea said...

I love this post. One weekend? Did you go diaper-free the entire time? I'll have to keep this in mind for Little C in a year.

Sonya said...

That's awesome!! It gives me hope for this summer when we start working with Colton. Lauren was pretty easy but you never know how each child will do!

Jessica said...

Not to scare you but my first was much easier to potty train than my second. But then again, nothing is easy with my second. I hope the same is not true for you.

Sara said...

That's awesome! I can't believe he took to it so quickly. Great job on the cold turkey thing - sounds like it was definitely the right move!

Cam said...

I am going to have to try the cold turkey method. Our son is not at fan of the potty at all. We have been gradually introducing it and our approach hasn't been working at all. Time to try something new. Baby number two will be here in a few months and I'd love to cut back on our diaper purchases! LOL!

Adrienne said...

Wow! Good Job, Nathan!! 2 weeks is not long at all.

Susan said...

This sounds like a complete and utter success! Wow.
Can you please fly over and train Ava? Not going so well.

Jessica said...

What a great success story! I am glad it was so easy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...