Cake au Citron - {French Lemon Cake}

One of the best parts about living in France is the breads and pastries.  I'm very aware that one day we will have to move back to the US and I am going to go through some serious withdrawals.  

This has put me on a mission to try and learn as many french recipes as I can so that I can take a little piece of France back with me.

That is why I love, love this recipe.  Not only is it easy, but all of the ingredients are readily available in the States.

Since this is a French recipe it always comes in weights rather than measurements, so I did my best with my trusty scale to convert these into American measurements.  



I always combine my dry ingredients in a bowl first:  Flour, baking powder and salt.

Then I beat three eggs with the vanilla extract.

Then finally cream the sugar with the butter.



 Beat until you get a creamy mousse:


Then slowly beat in the egg mixture.  Once incorporated fold in the dry ingredients:


Lastly, add the zest and juice of 2 lemons and mix:


I put it in a lined loaf pan and bake in the oven  at 350 for 45 minutes.  You can always use a cake pan, but I love the look of a loaf.

Ingredients:

1 1/4 cups of flour (190 grams)
1 cup sugar (170 grams)
1 1/2 sticks of butter (170 grams) at room temperature 
1 tablespoon baking powder (6 grams)
1/2 teaspoon salt 
3 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
zest and juice of 2 lemons

Pre-heat oven to 350℉ (180℃).  Line a loaf pan with parchment paper.

In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt.  Whisk to combine.

In a small bowl whisk the eggs with the vanilla and set aside.

In a large bowl cream the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until you obtain a mousse.  Slowly beat in the egg and vanilla mixture until incorporated.

Fold in the dry ingredients with a plastic spatula.  Once well incorporated add in the juice and zest of the two lemons.

Pour the batter into a lined loaf pan and bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick in the center comes out dry.
  
I would love to hear if you give this recipe a try!

(Recipe my own adaptation of an old St. Hubert Recipe)

Pin It

13 comments:

Jessica said...

Looks so good. I can have this for breakfast right :)?

scrapbook album said...

As I have found one of the magnificent way to make this delicious lemon cake. The regarding tutorial and recipe information are really looking just exceptional about it. The existing pictures really makes it easy to make the same one. Thanks for sharing.

Emmy said...

Oh that sounds so so good!

JDaniel4's Mom said...

This looks yummy! I love the way you did the first picute's layout.

The Anecdotal Baby said...

Another awesome recipe... got to get cookin'! Thanks for sharing; I can't wait to try.

Rach (DonutsMama) said...

I love anything lemon. And oh how I miss those French pastries. I've never had a Pain au Chocolat that was as good as the ones I used to buy in France.

LindyLouMac in Italy said...

My mother always used to bake a cake for us every weekend when we lived near her when our daughters were little and Lemon Cake was one of our favourites.

momto8 said...

this looks so moist and delicious!!

Kathryn Caldwell said...

Just came out of the oven! But it fell a little...I need to get my oven fixed! Oh, well, it didn't mess up the taste! This i NOT good for my diet though! Keep the recipes coming! This one i going down in my permanent recipe book!

Shellsea said...

I'm going to have to make this soon! I love lemon. :) Recently made a lemon tart and a lemon meringue.

Anonymous said...

I'd eat that whole cake in one sitting.

Amber H-B said...

mmmmm looks so delicious!

*~Sarah Lynn~* said...

I made this today but it overflowed in my oven. :( Is the baking powder a bit off? Should it have been a teaspoon instead of a tablespoon?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...